This school started as a Roman Catholic orphanage and school on the Mission Indian Reserve near Fort William. In the 1880s it started to receive funding from the federal government. Destroyed by fire in 1895, it was rebuilt that same year. It was relocated to Fort William in 1907 and became known as the St. Joseph’s Indian Industrial School. The school policy of not turning children away resulted in constant overcrowding problems. From the mid-1960s until its closure the school operated solely as a residence for students who were attending local day schools.
Remembering the Following Students:
|Date of Death (Year/Month/Day)
|Abraham Peter Magiskon